Sacramento County CCW Initial Class
• Your Interview by the Sheriff’s and Live scan needs to be completed before you take the class
• 16 hour; 2 day class
• The 4 hour refresher group may join this group on the 2nd day at 1:00
• Basic pistol or equivalent training is a prerequisite requirement; this is not a beginner course.
• Classroom time on each day; range time each day
• Written test and range qualifications are at the end of the 2nd day
• Guns and all needed equipment should be brought into the classroom
• Ammunition will be stored in an office adjacent to the classroom
• If shooting with a revolver, a speed loader IS REQUIRED in order to meet qualifications standards
• Be sure to stop at the tables in the entry area to have the guns checked for being unloaded.
• If you have not previously shot at The Gun Range, please complete and sign the waiver that you will find on clipboards at the counter. As well, read the rules and sign in the small binder on the counter.
• Class fees includes qualification up to 3 firarms.
• If your gun is in the DROS process and is being held at The Gun Range, please check it out each day.
• Prior to the class review the qualification course of fire on the FAQ sheet of The Gun Range web-site
• Gun(s) for qualifying - guns are needed both days
• 50 rounds ammunition for practice with one gun on the 1st day
• 50 rounds ammunition per gun for qualifications (2nd day)
• Holster REQUIRED (no older style ‘serpa’ type holsters that have a button to depress when drawing; newer models are acceptable)
• In the waistband holster is ok as long as it is secured to a belt
• 2 Mags are required
• Pocket carry holsters are not recommended in the qualification process
• Secure belt (men and women)
• Closed toed shoes
• High neck clothing (to keep brass from going down your shirts)
• Speed loader recommended (unless you are very adept at loading your magazines)
• Speed loader for revolver REQUIRED in order to qualify
• Eye/Ear protection
• Must be knowledgeable in all aspects of the handling and functions of your handgun
• Notebook/Paper - note taking highly recommended!
• Laptop if you prefer not to take notes by hand
The range fee is included in the price of the class. All firearms included up to 3.
Michael Kennedy - Lead Instructor
Michael is a much sought-after, experienced trainer with a relaxed, practical and enjoyable teaching style. You won't find any 'tough guy' Rambo-style attitude here.
Michael is a Certified Training Counselor with the United States Concealed Carry Association (USCCA), a certified instructor with the National Rifle Association (NRA), and is a certified California DOJ Instructor.
He holds certifications for the:
USCCA Basic Pistol
NRA First Steps program
NRA Basic Pistol
NRA Personal Protection in the Home
NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home.
What sets Michael apart from so many instructors is his personal commitment to further his own training. Michael takes his development seriously and is a competitive pistol shooter who actively participates in both local and regional IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association) matches.
He also believes in developing the 'craft' of firearms skills and marksmanship and holds current certifications in many advanced pistol classes, advanced tactical shotgun classes, and advanced carbine classes.
Michael offers classes for all levels, including courses for: